What you need to know about burial

Documents you will need

You will need to provide the following documents before the body can be buried:


Who issues this

Where you get it

Notice of Death Form DHA 1663

For death as a result of natural causes, the medical attendant (doctor or pathologist) who confirms the death issues the notice. In other cases, the state pathologist issues the notice.

The Notice of Death includes the personal details and thumbprints of both the deceased and the informant (usually a relative).
It is taken to the Department of Home Affairs, which then issues the death certificate.

We will obtain this for you from the doctor, hospital or state.

 Death certificate

 Department of Home Affairs

We will go to Home Affairs for you to register the death and obtain the death certificate.